This might come as a shock, people, but I do actually believe the EMA and Alasdair “monthly sick problems” Thompson when they say things like,
We totally agree with equal pay for equal work
They probably do. They are probably sincere in this belief.
The bit they’re not mentioning is the bit most bigoted asswipes leave unspoken,
we just also believe women are generally incapable of being equally productive, or doing equal work, to men.
And that’s the fucking problem right there.
(To the EMA’s credit, they go a lot further in their press release today, making it explicit gender shouldn’t play a role in pay and that gender has no role in productivity differences. Anyone who doesn’t lay those things out plainly and simply? Probable case of sexist dinosaur.)
Handy Alasdair Thompson roundup, for all your monthly sick problem needs:
- Ten strategic communication lessons from the Alasdair Thompson fiasco – Kiwipolitico
- Quote of the Day at Shakesville
- Alasdair Thompson lolz at The Standard (though I think the top-displayed friend is far more awesomely hilarious)
- Call that sexism? I’ll show you sexism – Imperator Fish
- Media release from NZ Federation of Business and Professional Women
- Media release from the Pay Equity Coalition
- Thompson makes case for Equal Pay Amendment – Russel Norman
- EMA has some explaining to do – Labour Party
- The Wages of Menstruation – Gordon Campbell